Immigrant Justice Task Force
First Unitarian’s Immigrant Justice Task Force was organized in 2017 in response to our nation’s heightened anti-immigrant climate. We function under the purview of the Social Justice Council.
The Mission of the Immigrant Justice Task Force is to support the rights, dignity, and well-being of the immigrant community and to work for justice, equity and compassion for immigrants by:
- Building relationships with members of the immigrant community and advocacy groups that represent them;
- Gathering and utilizing the resources of the First Unitarian Congregation to support forms of ally-ship as determined necessary and helpful by the immigrant community;
- Educating the First Unitarian Congregation and encouraging the Congregation to take action that will provide safety and relieve suffering for those targeted by hatred, discrimination and unjust policies based on their immigration status.
In May 2018 the Task Force focused its work in the following areas:
- Building Relationships: Developing strong working relationships with the immigrant community, advocacy groups, and other congregations and organizations that are working for immigrant justice.
- Congregational Education: Providing opportunities for our congregation to learn about the legal, moral and practical implications of current immigration policies and practices.
- Congregational Engagement: Providing the congregation with information about opportunities for immigrant justice work.
- Consideration of providing Physical Sanctuary: Leading congregational considerations of providing physical Sanctuary for immigrants in danger of deportation by housing them at our church.
- Outreach to First Unitarian Immigrant Neighbors: Seeking ways for the congregation to welcome, support and provide access to services for our local immigrant neighbors.
- Financial Support: Using the funds available to the Task Force for activities that support the mission of the Task Force.
- Attend a Task Force meeting – 2nd Wednesday of each month, 4:30 – 6:00 pm
- Join our e-mail group: contact Marilyn Holscher at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer! Go to: Immigrant Justice Volunteer Opportunities or contact Susan Smith at: email@example.com
For more information contact Marilyn Holscher at firstname.lastname@example.org.