“Here’s what is true: We may stop bringing people together in big groups for a while, but we will never cancel church. Our church is not a certain number of people in one place. It is not a building full of pews or chairs. It is not even the words we sing and speak in the curve of the beautiful, hand shaped mural that past generations of our church left for us as their guidance and their embrace. These things are expressions of our church.”
From a post by our Senior Minister, The Rev. Angela Herrera: “We Don’t Cancel Church.”
Please note: In accordance with Gov. Lujan Grisham’s extended stay-at-home order for all New Mexicans, First Unitarian’s office is closed. All staff will be working remotely and regularly checking email and voicemail during our usual business hours of Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am-4:00 pm. For a staff directory, click here.
For the latest updates on First Unitarian’s response to this crisis and ways to connect with others in our community, subscribe to our email list by filling out this form.
Virtual Worship Opportunities
- Every Sunday you may join us in Worship via Zoom at 11:00 am. Click here to join. Stay in the meeting after the service for smaller break-out sessions for a sort of Virtual Coffee Hour. If you don’t leave the meeting, you will be placed in a “room” automatically with others.
- Every Wednesday night you are invited to join us for Vespers via Zoom at 7:00 pm. Click here for that service.
We are using Zoom for our online gatherings and meetings. We stay updated with the latest security releases of Zoom and take all steps necessary to ensure a safe experience for all with no disruptions. If you’re new to Zoom get started here.
Resources for Families
Our Religious Education program is continuing to offer opportunities for families, children, and youth to connect with each other and support each other during this uncertain time.
- All-Youth check-in: 12:15-1:00 Sundays
- La Amikoj High School check-in: 2:00-3:00 Tuesdays
- Children’s Religious Education Programming: 3:00-3:43 Thursdays
- Parent/Caregiver check-in: 7:00-8:00 pm Thursdays
- RE Parent/Caregiver Theology with no potluck: 7:00-8:00 1st Friday of month\
Other Resources to Help
- You can reach the Care Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We especially want to hear from you if you test positive for or suspect you have Coronavirus, or if fragile health and self-quarantine are resulting in a sense of isolation for you during this time. We are standing by to provide support.
- If you are experiencing financial hardship right now due to the pandemic or other crisis, please reach out to your ministers! Your church is here for you. We want to hear from you. Find our emails here.
- Our Food Pantry continues to operate every Wednesday from 12:00-2:00 pm, with drive-up distribution. You do not need to provide any documentation and you can come every week.
The First Unitarian Church Recovery Ministry (email@example.com) would like to remind all those affected by substance use disorders that support groups, treatment centers, and other related organizations have responded to the need for recovery support and are adjusting their services to offer accountability and community while maintaining safe distancinrg guidelines. They have boosted their online presence, hosting live video meetings and extending telehealth offerings for patients. The following are just a few instances.Never Alone Club:a group of Narcotics Anonymous with daily online meetings where those seeking recovery can chat 24/7 for support and fellowship.Mind Research Network: a listing of NA, AA, Alateen, Naranon, etc meetings available.SMART Recovery online Zoom meetings. SMART Recovery is a global community of people and families working together to resolve addictive problems. Participants learn from one another using a self-empowering approach based on the most current science of recovery.
- For information and resources from the State of NM department of Health, go here.
The City of Albuquerque has asked that congregations share some resources for anyone experiencing financial hardship during the Coronavirus pandemic.There are additional community and business resources available here.
How Can I Help?