Church policies define lines of authority, organizational accountability, as well as the relationships between governance, programs and ministry. Governance is how we manage our affairs, set goals, identify priorities, and oversee the day-to-day activities of the Church. The Church’s programs, services, and ministries are what we manage to fulfill the Church’s mission. Our policies delineate the authority and responsibilities of the Congregation, the Board, Committees, and staff. They are documented in the Policy Manual.
Each policy has an “owner” which is the entity or group that has the authority to make changes and create new policies. Policies are hierarchical in nature, as follows:
Congregation: Adopts bylaws and may make or change any Church policy;
Standing Committees: Defined in bylaws includes the Board, Endowment, Leadership Succession, and Financial Review Committees. Standing Committees are responsible for developing own policies.
Board: Adopts policies made by the Congregation lines of authority as well as roles and responsibilities for the Board, ministers, staff, and lay leaders. The Board is subject to the Congregational policies.
Board Committees and Teams: Adopts policies that help them carry out their work.
Staff: Adopts policies within their established areas of authority.
The Policy Manual is divided into seven chapters providing the framework for its organization. Individual policies are sections within a category, and have been approved by the board.
- 1.0 Governance policies establish roles and responsibilities for the Board, ministers, staff, and lay leaders. They also define the lines of authority among these groups.
- 2.0 Finance policies govern how we manage our financial resources.
- 3.0 Affiliation and Participation policies establish membership as well as behavioral expectations of all persons participating in our activities or using our property.
- 4.0 Programs policies establish frameworks for committees, councils, teams/ task forces, and programs.
- 5.0 Employees policies set expectations for the management of paid staff.
- 6.0 Safety policies guide us in maintain a physically and emotionally safe campus.
- 7.0 Facilities policies guide us in managing our physical property.