The Policy Manual is divided into eight categories providing the framework for its organization. Individual policies are sections within a category. These categories are: Governance, Finance, Affiliations, Programs, Staff, Safety, Facilities, and Communications.
Each policy has an “owner” which is the entity or group that has the authority to make changes and create new policies. Policies are hierarchal in nature, as follows:
This entity may make or change any Church policy. By-laws must be changed in accord with the by-laws themselves.
The Board is subject to the policies made by the Congregation. The Board may change policies related to staff, teams, and committees, except Standing Committees. These policies establish lines of authority as well as roles and responsibilities for the Board, ministers, staff, and lay leaders. The Board is subject to the Congregational policies.
These groups include Board, Endowment, Leadership Succession, and Financial Review Committees. Standing Committees are governed by the Church by-laws.
Board Committees and Teams
These entities may create and change policies that help them carry out their work.
This group may change and create policies within their established areas of authority.
The Board has approved five chapters categories of the Policy Manual which are:
- 1.0 Governance (approved August 2015) – Seven policies establish roles and responsibilities for the Board, ministers, staff, and lay leaders as well as lines of authority among them.
- 2.0 Finance (approved December 2015) – Eleven policies establish the framework for managing the financial resources of the Church. The Congregation entrusts the financial management of its affairs to the Board, the Senior Minister, as Head of Staff, and the Endowment and Financial Review Committees. The approval of the annual operating budget, the purchase/ construction/ sale of property and incurrence of debt are reserved to the Congregation.
- 3.0 Affiliation and Participation (approved March 2016) – Three policies establish categories of affiliation, tracking mechanisms and expectations of those who participate in Church activities or activities on Church property.
- 4.0 Programs (approved June, 2016) – Eleven policies comprise the Program chapter. These include Board committees, program policy, and councils, membership Committee, Landscape Committee, green sanctuary, animals on campus, and selection of delegates and scholarship recipients.
- 5.0 Staff – These policies include the Personnel Manual, Church as an employer, and the Personnel Committee.
- 7.0 Facilities (approved March 2016) – Five policies defines how Church buildings and grounds are used and cared for.
- 8.0 Communications (approved March 2016) – Two policies establish guidelines for development and ongoing management of print and web-based publications and communications venues.
As the Board approves policies in each category, they will be included in the Policy Manual and posted on the Church website.
Task Force Members: Geri Knoebel (chair), Pat Diem, Christine Robinson, and Gwen Sawyer.