About Change for the Future
Gandhi said that “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Here at First Unitarian, our “Change for the Future” program has been part of our religious practice for many years. Each year, a committee seeks church members’ nominations of organizations serving the Albuquerque and New Mexico communities, reviews the applications, and sends them on to the Social Justice Council (SJC).
The SJC reviews the applications and then presents the organizations to the congregation at the January Annual Meeting, where four organizations are chosen to receive three months of our time, attention, and financial contributions. The Change for the Future Committee provides support to each of the groups elected, helping them educate church members about their missions.
To learn more about this program, contact the Change for the Future Committee Chair, John Ellig.
March-May: Peace Talks Radio/Good Radio Shows, Inc.
- Topic areas include peacemaking and conflict resolution, social justice, media literacy, education, the environment, the performing arts, literature, the humanities, current events, and public affairs.
- Visit: http://www.goodradioshows.org
June-August: New Mexico Women.Org
- Supports economic self-sufficiency, education, the elimination of gender-based violence, access to reproductive health services, and leadership development.
- Facilitates collaborative efforts to address these issues and works across sectors to advance positive policy changes that will enhance the lives of women and girls.
- Visit: www.newmexicowomen.org
September-November: Street Safe New Mexico
- Strives to reduce the harmful consequences associated with life on the street.
- Conducts street outreach several times a week, providing snacks, feminine hygiene products, pepper spray, and personal sanitizing items.
- Partners with local organizations in the fight against human trafficking.
- Visit: https://www.streetsafenm.com/
December 2017-February 2018: Freedom House
- Watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world.
- Analyzes the challenges to freedom, advocates for greater political rights and civil liberties, and supports frontline activists to defend human rights and promote democratic change.
- Visit: https://freedomhouse.org.