Becoming a Member of First Unitarian Church of Albuquerque
The benefits of church membership are different for each person—we don’t define those for you any more than we prescribe your spiritual theology. Some of the ways members express the value of belonging to First Unitarian include:
- A supportive community of fellow seekers where I can continue my spiritual journey
- A place to be renewed and inspired in the company of friends
- A place where I can join with others to do good works in the larger community
- A place where I can share my talents and expand my social network
We are delighted that you are considering a deeper connection to this liberal religious community. Membership is a commitment to Unitarian Universalism and also to this congregation. By joining you are committing:
- To help with the work of the church in its committees and events,
- To support the church financially to the best of your ability
- To make connections through small group activities
- To participate in our congregational polity by attending meetings and becoming informed about issues involving the congregation
By joining us, you receive the benefits and accept the responsibilities of membership at First Unitarian.
How do I Become a Member?
There are several steps toward making the commitment to join.
- Attend services and events to see if this feels like a place you can call your spiritual home
- Participate in Newcomer Orientation sessions to learn more about our church and our denomination
- Ask questions of the membership committee, lay leaders, and ministers
- When you feel ready to join, agree to sign the Membership Book and be recognized in a New Member Sunday ceremony
Path to Membership
If you come from other religious traditions and want to learn more about Unitarian Universalism before joining, this program is designed with you in mind.
We ask you to choose from a group of suggested activities that will expose you to what it is like to be a member here.
- UU 101 – this class (in person, online, or as a packet) is an introduction to the history and theology of Unitarian Universalism (UU) and to what UUs tend to believe and value. It also familiarizes you with the governance, traditions, and ways of this church. In person classes are offered quarterly and the online version or take-home packets are available any time. For dates and details, call the office 884-1801 or email: email@example.com.
- We have created many ways to share our joys, interests, and passions. We learn, explore, discuss, create, dine, enjoy life together… and form lasting and meaningful bonds. Click on “Connect”, then select an activity, event, or class and join in!
- One of the most satisfying ways to get involved with our church is by lending a hand – newcomers can volunteer to help with various tasks related to Sunday services or opportunities available during the week. Click on “Serve” for a list of possibilities!
Ready to Join!
First Unitarian has just three criteria for membership:
- You have reached the age of 14
- You are in sympathy with our Mission Convenant
- You have made an initial contribution or pledge
We offer New Member Signing Ceremonies on the first Sunday of each month. Sign up in advance on any Sunday at the Membership Information table. Then, on the date you have chosen (at 12:15pm), join our minister and other new members in the Family Room located opposite the Sanctuary. You will sign the Membership Book, receive information about our Welcoming Conversations, and the date of our next New Member Recognition where you will be officially welcomed by the congregation. You will also be offered an opportunity to sit down to dinner with other new members from the last several months.
Now that you are a new member, your first few years will be full of new experiences for you and your family.
- You will be invited to attend our annual meeting in January where, as a member of the congregation, you will engage in conversation and vote to guide this community’s future direction.
- You will be asked to make your first pledge of financial support.
- Most importantly, you will begin the journey of finding your unique place in this thriving community. And that is mostly up to you!
By joining us, you are committing your time, your enthusiasm, your strengths, and your support.
In return, you receive
- Affiliation with others who pursue a unique spiritual path;
- Religious education for you and your children;
- Education about, and opportunities to help change inequities in our society;
- A place of refuge, understanding and emotional support;
- A promising new path of personal growth.
You have taken the leap so now it is time to dive in! Welcome to our congregation!
To contact the Membership Committee, please email the Chair, Austin Silva.